Studies have shown that 67% of adults ages 45 and older would prefer to remain in their local community for as long as possible during their senior years, and 73% stated that they would prefer to live at home for as long as possible. So if you are currently the son or daughter of a senior and are seriously contemplating the idea of placing them in an assistant living facility, try to keep this idea in the back of your head.
As our parents get older, we become more concerned about their health and safety – especially when they live at home by themselves. As much as you wish you could be there more often to look after them, it just may not be possible. However, that doesn’t mean that they should have to give up what they want most just yet: to be in their own home.
Before you think about uprooting your parent, consider making some improvements to their home instead, making the environment much safer for them to maneuver through. Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Add railings in areas that are difficult to navigate, i.e. beside the bed and walkways that have one or two steps.
- Replace all door knobs with handle levers. Arthritic hands may find it painful and difficult to turn a knob, so this switch will make opening doors much easier.
- Remove all area rugs and other hazards that may cause your parent to trip and fall.
- Install shower chairs and grab handles in the shower, as well as an emergency alert cord. Many seniors refuse to shower in their older age simply because they are afraid they will fall and no one will be around to help.
- Put all items on low shelves in the kitchen and keep all amenities on one level of the home so that your parent won’t have to worry about climbing the stairs to get what they need.
Of course, an in-home caregiver can also help to keep your mind at ease when you can’t be close by, but little extras such as those listed above can only add to your peace of mind. To learn more about our services and the various ways that you can make in-home senior care work for you and your parent, give us a call today.
(Posted by: Gina Deney of Your Own Home LLC)
Subscribe to Your Own Home LLC » Blog by Email